So this isn’t an educational post but it was too delicious not to share!!!
I love baking when I feel like I have the time, so making this Christmas cake was great. It also tasted amazing! I have decided to make another one for New Years too!
I soaked sultanas in a bottle (yup a full bottle!) of sherry. After a week or so I added some Jamaican rum not too much! I left this soaking for 2 weeks in total, the rest of it is still there in the fridge ready to be baked!
- 250g (9oz) dark muscovado sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g (9oz) self raising flour
- 1 tbsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 100g (4oz) glace cherries
1. Pre heat the oven to gas mark 3 (160c). Place the butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to mix until smooth.
2. Gradually add in the eggs and a little bit of flour if it starts to curdle.
3. Stir in the flour and spices. I added cinnamon, nutmeg and glacé cherries too!
4. Spoon out the mixture into a large cake tin
5. Place in the oven and bake for up to 60 mins. Smell the delicious flavours as it bakes!
6. Leave to cool down and taste the delicious cake! You may decorate it but I didn’t think it was needed!🤣 I added custard to mine for a great Christmas Day dessert.
Do you bake for Christmas Day?
I love how creative children are. They see things in a completely different way to us.. I decided to encourage the creativity of my nephew’s love of cars this Christmas. Not only is it reusing resources and stopping them from being dumped in landfill.. it is loved by my nephew and pretty easy to create!
I purchased a wooden reel from a local scrap store. If you haven’t visited one then you really should they are amazing!!
I also purchased some black chalk paint from Amazon. I love this stuff… it can be used to paint most surfaces and drys as a chalkboard. I thought this was the perfect way to paint the reel, that way my nephew can draw and create whatever he wants on it using chalk!
Kindly enough I received some AstroTurf free from a local scrap store. I used this to decorate the top of the reel and added a few dinosaurs purchased from Amazon too! I created a city using some chalk pens from Amazon. These are great and easily wipe off tables and wooden surfaces, as well as this chalk board paint too.
The most open ended presents are the best right?!
I hope you had a great Christmas…
As always let me know your thoughts!