This year I have embedded loose parts in most areas of my Reception class. I really believe that creativity is key for children’s future success.
Without any prompts my nephew used crates and tyres to make his own car. He found a book about cars and sat inside trying to read it.
Let children be pilots in their own play
Gathering loose parts can be easy and free. Here are some top tips:
- Ask family and friends! If anyone is having a clear out it’s worth asking them first.
- Email or ring companies – electrical companies and building sites always have bits of scrap they are willing to donate. From wooden reels to pallets – there’s no harm in asking.
- Check Facebook market place it is amazing for freebies that are often right on your doorstep.
- Visit your local charity shops. I have found some lovely loose parts and role play items from them.
- Visit a scrap store. I have a few amazing scrap stores near which offer services such as filling up a basket for £2! It is definitely worth a visit.
- Send an email around school. Work colleagues may also have some random items that are useful I have already collected lots of amazing things!
You can download my loose parts wish list here: